Sweet and salty; is there any better pairing to take care of every craving at once? Sure there is—just add chocolate, then boost the richness with a deeply flavored Russian Caravan black tea blend! Make the mix and gift it to a friend or just jump right to the recipe and make this treat. Just be sure to steep a pot of the Russian Caravan black tea to pair with the chocolate tea-infused bites.
Makes 1 quart jar; 12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbl loose-leaf Russian Caravan tea
- 1/2 cup caramel bits
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
Tip: Can’t find caramel bits? Chill about 20 caramel candies in the fridge for an hour, then unwrap and chop them. If they still stick to the knife, try spraying the blade with cooking spray every so often.
1. Grind the Russian Caravan tea to a fine spice-like consistency using a spice grinder, coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle.
2. In a 1-quart glass mason jar, layer the ingredients: Put 1 cup of flour in the bottom of the jar. Top with brown sugar. Put granulated sugar on top of brown sugar. Sprinkle with ground tea and caramel bits.
3. Put a folded dishtowel on the counter. Gently tap the jar on top of the towel to pack the ingredients down.
4. Add the cocoa powder on top of the caramel bits; sprinkle with salt and baking powder.
5. Top with the remaining 1 cup of flour. Tap gently to compress all the ingredients to fit in the jar.
6. Seal the jar with its lid and add a label with cooking instructions.
Instructions For The Chocolate Bars
Make a label with the following instructions: Pour contents of jar into a 9×13-inch baking pan, then add the following ingredients: 3/4 cup vegetable oil 2 tsp white vinegar 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 cups water Whisk ingredients together well in the pan, making sure they’re completely mixed; don’t worry, some fizzing is normal. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.