Snickerdoodles are such a favorite that when we saw a recipe that transformed them into chai spice snickerdoodles, we just had to share them with you. Imagine the delightful texture of a snickerdoodle with the warming spices of chai. The taste and texture combination blends beautifully for a sensational treat that will disappear before the last cookie tray has been put away!
Ingredients for topping:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch cloves
Ingredients for cookies:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the topping ingredients together on a dinner plate. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork to vigorously mix together oil, sugar, syrup, and milk. Mix for at least a minute, until it resembles applesauce. Then mix in vanilla.
- Sift in remaining ingredients, stirring as you add them.
- Once all ingredients are added, mix until you’ve got a pliable dough. Get in there with your hands to mix, it’s the easiest way to get the dough to come together.
- With clean, moist hands, roll dough into walnut sized balls.
- Pat into the sugar topping and flatten to roughly 2 inch discs.
- Transfer to baking sheet, sugar side up, at least 2 inches apart (they do spread a little). This should be easy as the the bottom of the cookies should just stick to your fingers so you can just flip them over onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, they should be a bit browned on the bottoms.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
From the Post Punk Kitchen: Chai Spice Snickerdoodle Recipe