If you want to get some of the best produce, head to your local farmers market and take a gander at the plethora of fruits and vegetables that are just ripening up. Then, take a page from Gail Simmons, a Top Chef judge and food writer who utilized what she saw on the stands to create the Farmers Market Cantaloupe Kale Ginger Smoothie, which she debuted at the Aspen Food and Wine Festival this year. Using all sorts of good-for-you ingredients like cantaloupe, dates, flaxseeds and kale, she has created a green super-charged tea smoothie that tastes as healthy as it sounds, but with a nice bit of sweetness added into the mix.
But how does this relate to tea you may wonder? Instead of water or juice, Simmons uses unsweetened iced tea, giving this bright green smoothie the liquid it needs to blend and a little caffeine kick to get you going. Try this at home or experiment using tea in concoctions of your own design, just make sure to share your creations by tweeting us at @DailyTeaTweets.
- 1 cup ripe cantaloupe, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons flaxseeds or flaxseed meal
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted and quartered (if you can’t find them, dried plums work fine)
- 1 cup unsweetened iced tea
- 1 teaspoon freshly-grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of ice