What better way to combine tea and biscuits than to put tea in the biscuit? These Earl Grey shortbread cookies are buttery and bright, highlighting one of the all-time classics of the tea world. And they’re gluten free, too!
Enjoy them on their own or—naturally—at tea time with a cup of the Earl’s finest.
- 1-1/3 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Earl Grey tea bags
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚ Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix rice flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut tops off tea bags and pour into bowl; stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla, beating until combined. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients, mixing well until a soft dough forms.
- Roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough between your palms and lightly press onto lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Allow to cool on tray for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.